venerdì 5 marzo 2010

At the end of an era

I got into the voodoo with Mexican Radio and that was not a rare thing in the eighties. But then my favourite dj Alberto Campo began playing "Can't Make Love" on his radio program called "Evening star" and after hearing that unique and mesmerizing sound beat a couple of times, I went out with my vespa and bought the vinyl from "Rock'n'folk" - the best record shop in my hometown Turin at the time. Wov has been one my favorite band of all time ever since. That was in the fall of 1980, when I was a mod oriented teen with an original musical taste. The only thing that disturbed me was that Wov were no MODS at all... Anyway, I bought the album soon after and was totally stunned. I had never heard anything like it. Song after song I sat just staring into space, dreaming of lost weekends spent travelling thru desert highways, from the san diego valley to the canyons. I've been there some years later and those songs still echoed in my mind. Wall of Voodoo were magic and Richard Mazda was their studio guide, producing some of the best recording of the eighties. Stan and the boys were able to create massive visuals throughtout the songs and the Call of the west album was even better than everything heard before. When Stan left the band I was really shocked. It was simply the end of an era...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento